Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round..."

So, husband and I are always talking about how we need to exercise more.  That period of "more" started this weekend apparently. Holy crap. It did not start out well. My dad has been a bicycle-r  for several years now, which is good because he knows all the ins and outs of this activity. Well, my mom started riding bikes recently and convinced me and husband to start as well. Holy hell  y'all, bicycling is hard. Husband and dad went on Friday to get new tubes and tires for my bike since they dry rotted - it's been a while since I rode a bike, so they went and got it all fixed up for me. Saturday morning rolls around and we (me, mom, dad, and husband) all decide we are going to ride bikes. For some reason,  my front tube would not hold air, so husband and dad went to the bike shop to get me a new tube. Before they left, they instructed me and mom to go ahead and start and they would be back soon.  Husband left his bike for me to ride while they were gone.  Guess what, bikes are made in different sizes.  Guess what else... When a bike is too damn tall, you can fall off of it from a standing position. I was standing there on my very tip toes trying to get myself up on the seat and I straight fell over in the parking lot. Awesome. I scraped my shin and my elbow and smacked my head. So, being the trooper that I am, I got back up and attempted to ride my mom's bike instead, but she is a little bit taller than I am, so I fell off her bike as well. So I proceeded to be a grown up and sit in the grass and cry. Not one of my finer moments. Finally husband and dad came back with my bike in working order and we were finally able to ride. On the way back to the car, my foot slipped off of the bike pedal and I scraped the crap out of my calf. Awesome. About half way through the ride, the song "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen popped into my head and it has been there ever since. Yay.

This morning, Husband was up moving around and woke me up and said "are you going riding this morning?" so, I reluctantly got out of bed and we went to meet my mom and dad again to ride. Well, I did not fall off this morning, so that's good. But we ended up riding in the heat of the day and by the time we were done, I thought I was going to die, but I didn't, so, YAY! :)

Ok... So, I learned some stuff this weekend that I will share with you now.

1: Padded bicycling shorts are a must have, however, if the shorts do not fit correctly, then the padded part will not hit you in the right place and then the padding serves no purpose. However, it will make you walk like you have a saddle in your undies. So cute... :|

2: 9 miles on a stationary bike is VERY different than 9 miles on an actual bicycle outside. Holy crap.  Y'all, I rode my bicycle 9 miles this morning with mom, dad, and husband. Around mile 8 I thought I was going to throw up and die, more from the heat than the actual exercise.

3: When you are dehydrated, Gatorade tastes freaking amazing, otherwise, it tastes really not awesome.

4: I seriously need to remember to wear sunscreen and I do not tolerate heat well at all. We got in the car to go home from the trails where we were riding our bikes and the thermometer said it was 100 degrees outside today with like 75% humidity. It was rough y'all.

I have decided that I will be riding a bike a few times a week, but it is put on hold until I can figure out the padded butt/shorts/seat situation. Cause let me tell ya something, that is uncomfortable yo. But until then, I'm going to lay here in bed and think about how sore my muscles are.

1 comment:

  1. Oh me sis!! That was a rough adventure BUT I applaud you for sticking it to day two!! Third times a charm so I'm betting that the next attempt is a lot better!! I'm buying an elliptical from a person in COF so lets hope I can manage that! And as always your story telling always amuses me ;) love ya!!

    ReplyDelete