Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years...

This is going to be a "I remember..." post. Get ready...

10 years. 1 decade. 520 weeks. 3650 days.I still remember where I was when it happened. I was a senior in high school, sitting in the back of Mr. Smith's history class. I remember that the teacher from across the hall came in and told our teacher what happened and all the color drained out of his face. We turned on the news and saw that the first plane had hit. I felt numb and hollow and extrordinarily scared. Then the next one hit, and I started to cry.

I cried for all the people on the planes and their families. I cried for everyone in the towers who died and for all the people who would never see them again. I cried because my boyfriend at the time was in the military and I was so afraid of what would happen to him. I cried because I knew our country changed that day.

I remember everything stopped that day. All day at school, we watched the news no one really spoke. It was scary and awful and sad, but it was nothing compared to what all the people who were directly impacted had to feel.

It's been 10 years. We did come back, we did rebuild, we grew as a country, and we found justice. Are we completely back to the way we were? No. Will we ever be? Probably not. I do know that I am so very thankful for each and every person in the military who has gone and protected us. Thank you all so very much.

9/11/01... Never forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that after 10 years we still keep this day close to our hearts. One day it will become just another day marked on a calendar except to the people who saw it happen. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete