Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Repo

So, as you all know, husband, dog and I live in an apartment. When husband and I moved in here, it had been a long time since I had lived in an apartment, so I had to get used to apartment living. I was not at all prepared for what I would experience.

One cool spring night, husband and I decided to sleep with our bedroom window open. It was around one am when I was woken up when a vehicle smashed into the empty dumpster. Ok, did you guys know that when a car hits an empty dumpster, that makes a loud ass bang? I'm here to tell you, it does.  So, I heard the "BANG!!" and shot up in bed and immediately thought "SHIT!! The apartment exploded!!" I'm not the most logical person when I awake due to loud noises. Anyway, husband being the awesome guy he is, gets out of bed and opens the blinds on the window to survey the damage, and to make sure the source of the bang wasn't someone smashing into our cars. He informed me that a tow truck had smashed into the dumpster and was trying to back up to our neighbor's car.

Husband watched them for a few minutes and seemed concerned. The following conversation ensued:

Husband: Neighbor's car is an all wheel drive.

Me: Uh... ok...

Husband: The repo men are hooking up to her back axle.

Me: *blank stare*

Husband:  You can't tow an all wheel drive vehicle by the back axle while it is in gear. It will mess up the car.

At this point, husband is awake enough to call the cops, just to have them say that since it is not our car, then there is nothing they can do about it and to call back if they smash into any vehicles. As soon as husband hangs up with the police,  the repo men started to drag the car out and I immediately understood what he meant about not towing an all wheel drive vehicle by the rear axle. There was the loudest episode of squealing tires/dragging plastic that I have ever experienced in my life. We got to listen to the repo drivers drag the car up the driveway, out to street, and then fade away into the distance as they got onto the interstate, dragging the car behind them.

The next morning, I went out to get in my car and go to work and there were long, dark black tire marks and a white scuff mark (the car was white) all the way up the parking lot, down the street, and onto the on ramp for the interstate. It was amazing. Luckily we haven't had to wake up to repo men again, thank goodness, but I will never forget that night. Those neighbors moved out soon after.

How about you, any crazy neighbor stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment